In this post, you’ll find 10 DOs and DONTs for how to cope with your first (or yet another) Motherless Mother’s Day.
I lost my mom in 2013 a week after Easter Sunday making every Easter through Mother’s Day since then almost impossible to bear. It is survivable. How do I know? Because I’m here writing this to you. Sunday, May 8, 2016 will be my third Motherless Mother’s Day. I’d like to say things get easier with time but honestly, the experiences are different for each person.
Below is a compiled list of 10 DOs and DONTs I’ve found to get through and even enjoy the days that feel the toughest. My wish for you is to find solace and comfort by incorporating some of these ideas.
1. Be extra gentle with yourself.
2. Gently remind those around you “it’s that time of year” and you’ll be creating extra space and kindness for yourself.
3. Find a special and specific way to celebrate her
4. Share your special and specific celebration with people you feel safe with
5. Whatever makes you comfortable